I’ve had a few requests for vegetarian camping recipes. This is one of my favorites because it allows you to quickly make your own refried beans without lard, it’s filling, and you can use whatever fresh veggies (if any) that you have around. Give them a try. I know it’s on my list for the weekend!
It’s really quite easy to make the beans, especially if you use canned beans. I have a pressure cooker and enjoy cooking the beans at home in about 20 minutes, but I caution you to make sure the beans stay cold if you plan to bring fresh cooked beans camping (lower than 41 degrees per food safety guidelines) as they do not have a long shelf life. FYI, cooked beans will last about 3-5 days in a refrigerator, under 41 degrees. I think canned beans are a great option for this recipe. So, without further procrastination, here’s the recipe.
2-3 T olive oil
1 can 15 oz pinto or black beans, drained (or 2 cups cooked beans)
1 small onion, minced
4 cloves garlic or more, minced or 1 tsp, or more jarred minced garlic
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp salt
optional: 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet.
2. Add onion, garlic, cumin, and salt. Saute over medium heat until the onions are soft (5 minutes)
3. Add the optional jalapeno
4. Turn heat to low, mix in beans. Mash the beans with a fork or potato mashed (if you have this luxury in your camp kitchen)
5. Cook for just a few minutes and serve or refrigerate to use later.
Optional toppings (the options are endless, but here are some ideas):
shredded lettuce, chopped mushroom, chopped tomato, diced red onion
avocado or guacamole, pickled jalapeno, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cucumber
minced red bell pepper, salsa, sour cream or plain yogurt, or cilantro
1. Top a tostada shell with refried beans
2. Load up with as many toppings as you think you can manage
3. Eat by hand or with a fork and knife
Make these babies up for breakfast with a scrambled or fried egg.
This was a big hit at my restaurant with the college students.
It’s a great protein blast for your day.