I was helping my husband out yesterday at a workshop he was running at the local climbing gym. This was a 4 hour workshop that ran until 7 pm. Being the foodie I am, I thought that the attendees might get hungry during that time. So, I bought some fruit, power bars, and decided to make some energy bars to try out on them. As it turned out, everyone in attendance tried the homemade bars and absolutely raved about them. Even gym staff came over looking to try them.
Because these bars were so good, healthy, and delicious I wanted to share the recipe with you. WARNING: If you bring these to the crag or camp site, don’t leave them out or they may be devoured by critters or wild climbers!
Here’s the recipe:
Blueberry Coconut Almond Energy Bars
2 cups raw almonds
1 cup agave nectar
2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp kosher salt
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
¾ cup chopped almonds, divided
½ cup dried blueberries
¼ cup chia seeds
½ cup dark chocolate chips
1. Line a 9×9” pan with wax paper
2. In a food processor or high speed blender, combine 2 cups raw almonds, agave, melted coconut oil, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth
3. In a separate bowl combine oats, half of the chopped almonds, dried blueberries, and chia seeds. This can be sticky work. I tried to use my hands but it was a huge mess. Try using a spoon and be a little patient with this step.
– Reserve remaining almonds and coconut for the topping
4. Spread mixture over the prepared pan. Cover top with wax paper and press evenly to compact; remove wax paper from top
5. Melt chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds
6. Spread melted chocolate evenly over the top of the bars
7. Sprinkle with reserved chopped almonds and coconut
8. Let sit at room temperature overnight uncovered, cut into bars and enjoy!